\( . _ . )/ ヽ( ゜ー゜)ノ o.OZzzzZzz rotflol

Sometimes I feel as if I were an internet dino.

I was never the excellent wiz kid in school, I studied for tests the morning before I took them, I copied my classmates homeworks and had my mom do other random assignments. Bottom line, I do not study. And therefore, it is extremely hard for me to keep up with advances in technology, because I usually just take the things I already know for granted and that's it.

I remember when webpages were only html, so I learned it, basically to manage my own blog - that made me the big shot in school, I was the only GIRL in school who knew html, did not have a face covered in zits and was not part of the comic book club.
Then people started coming up with java, php, mysql, what have you... I have become once more a dumb pre-historic person.

Another thing that has changed a lot and I cannot cope with - internet language.
Being a former English Teacher and a Major in Portuguese Language, reading ANYTHING on Myspace or Orkut is like being tortured with no way out of it.
All these new words they come up with, and new ways of writing, deliberatelly KILLING GRAMMAR... Once I was "sms-ing" a friend and he said "although you speak very good English, you can clearly tell that you're not from the U.S."
"How so?", I shot back. "You speak correctly", was the response.

And do you remember when "laughing" was as easy as "hahaha"? The other day I was talking to my niece and at one point she goes "pskdpspkdpskpdpkspkdpksp".
WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT???? "I was laughing at what you said!"

Not to mention emoticons. I simply stick to the basics:
:) means happy
:( means sad
:'( means cry
(Y) thumbs up
(N) thumbs down

This is what you'll ever see me do in a conversation on any IM. Now they have all those elaborate, intricate, exquisitely weird faces and it takes me forever to understand what on Earth it means. I remember when I first saw "S2" I kept thinking it was just some strange Emo band thing that was going on - it turns out it's a heart.
Today I received an e-mail that kept me looking at it for at least 20 minutes trying to figure out what word begins and ends with "m" and had 2 missing letters in the middle.
Do you know?

m(_ _)m

If there is a new dictionary/book with all these internet updates, please, will someone give me one?

7 comments:

    Hi Lilize,

    I trust this info will help:
    Japanese emoticon for: My apologies M's are the hands on the ground. Or one can say: I am sorry for troubling you. m(_ _)m

    How it things in Newport Beach?

    All the best,

    Darius from other side of the ocean...

     

    Hello,

    Thank you for your birthday wishes. I am on the move and will not be around for a few days. I just glimpsed at your blog and liked what I saw. I will visit more in detail when I am back.

    See you soon and take care

    Peter

     

    Hahahah...I'm often confused with internet slangs too, but not with emoticons.

     
    On 19 October, 2008 22:08 Anonymous said...

    It takes me FOREVER to send a text message to someone. Why? Because I spell everything correctly and use proper punctuation. I hate "chat speak" as I call it. :) Though I do love those commercials where everyone is speaking in text speak and the Mom gets all frustrated.

     

    Don't feel bad. New things appear so fast these days that we are all n00bs now.

     

    Found you via BlogExplosion and wanted to say hello!! :)

     

    well when i was new to chatting i dint even know about the msn. we had a public chatroom which was very famous.when my friends asked if were online i used to say "YES".but i dint know that they were asking about my msn LOL.But now its been long n finally m used to most of the emotions and the abbreviations too :D

     

Blogger Templates by Blog Forum